Goddamn fucking moronic elitists.

You may recall my previous rant about college/uni being a rip-off. If not, well: college/uni is a fucking rip-off.

Earlier this year, I decide I should amp up my design skills. I figure a BFA in Graphic Design might be a great idea. Enrolled, accepted, go to orientation and registration earlier this week.

Required: a 15″ (at least) Macbook Pro.

Cocksucking motherfuckers.

But it’s free sales tax! Your loans can be used to buy it!

It’s still fucking $1,699, plus the software I’ll be required to purchase and use! I’ll be lucky if my student loans cover my tuition, much less this overpriced fucking thing.

The kicker is I have an awesome laptop, with the entire Adobe Creative Suite. It works amazingly. I’ve been a designer for 10 years (5+ professionally) and never needed a goddamn Mac. Ever. Now because people are¬†ignoramuses¬†and think Macs are “easy to use”, Apple has their fingers in the fucking university system, with their grossly overpriced shiny junk.

Don’t give me that shit about Macs being better with design. A) I have my doubts, and B) it’s $1,699+ that I don’t have. So all the arguments in the world will not make up for the fact that requiring this hunk of shit may mean I cannot attend university.

It was also great when, during the tour of the campus, it was pointed out a few times, that new wings or fitness rooms came in under budget, so the college bought a bunch of flat-screen TVs. Uh, assholes, how about kicking some of that money back to your students that you are robbing blind?

Goddamn, I hate higher (priced) education. Motherfuckers.

Edit: I am trying to find a more reasonably-priced used Macbook on eBay, but I’m certainly not getting my hopes up.

8 comments on “Goddamn fucking moronic elitists.

• How… how totally absurd. They require a Macbook Pro? How can they require that? Like, I could get requiring “a laptop with X amount of memory that can run programs A, B, and C” but if you already have the Adobe suite and a perfectly good laptop, that shouldn’t prevent you from attending.

Gah. Am outraged on your behalf. Hopefully it’s not so much a “requirement” as a “recommendation.”

• Fucking tossers.

If you NEED a $1,699 computer to be a good designer, you’re a fucking button clicking monkey. Surely a good course would teach you to extend your skills with the bare minimum first?

What a stupid ass requirement.

• :O What country do you live in?

That’s pretty shitty. I know you may of thought of this already, but have you thought of install the OS on a external source and boot up from that on your current lap top? People do it all the time time Linux / Windows. Surely it’s possible with Leopard or w/e it’s called.

Macs are a rip off for what you actually get, I personally think anyhow. I looked into buying one, and at first I thought they where cheap, but I can get my boyfriend to make a PC for $1000~ that’ll have exactly what I need, so it’s rather expensive for me to get a Mac, and if I want something to actually suit my needs I’d be spending a SHIT LOAD. >.<

Tell them to bloody well pay for it. Should they not of mentioned that before you signed up? This is stupid. Bah.

• They must be getting some money from APPLE in order for them to require that students only use that product and, if so why not give a price break on the thing?

Also, not sure if you’ve heard about http://www.journeyed.com but the programs are discounted just for students.

Flat screen TV’s.

LOL

• Blargh, don’t even get me started on how expensive college is. If it weren’t for financial aid, I’d be paying $50,000+ a year.

On a scale from 1 to ridiculous, though, that requirement is way beyond ridiculous. I’ve only ever seen colleges recommend certain specifications, and even then, they leave much of the choice up to you. I suppose it’s too late to switch programs/colleges now, but I would definitely discuss laptop choices with the administration.

• That is completely nuts. The college I’m trying to go to is for-profit, which is really unfortunate because this school is the only school that has the degree program I want, but it is ridiculous that they require a specific laptop from you guys. I’ve never heard anything like that in my life, good god. Even the school I want to go to offers up computer labs for students to use if they don’t have access to computers or the computer programs we’ll need.

• That is weird. At the school I attend for GD you don’t HAVE to have a mac, they suggest it since you’ll be working on macs in the classroom but as long as you have access to a computer with the programs they don’t care. Sure I love my macbook, but to make it required is just ridiculous they do cost a lot :/

I heard in the past of some colleges requiring items like an ipod touch, so weird. I’m sure there’s someone you can talk to to get an exception as Rose said). Better yet, buy an apple sticker logo and put it on your laptop and be like “oh yeah it’s the new macbook doesn’t ome out for years!”.